[amsat-bb] Phase 4B

Kevin Muenzler, WB5RUE kevin at eaglecreekobservatory.org
Fri Jun 17 21:34:40 UTC 2016

What do you use for your antenna (brand) or did you build them yourself
(correct answer should be "built myself" but I understand if you didn't :) )

What do you think about the Arrow antenna?  I've seen quite a few people
using it and it seems that the major drawback is polarity.  Have you ever
tried a quadfiler antenna?  I've thought about building one even though they
look very complicated.  Helix looks easier.  I used a J-Pole and 10 meter
dipole (back in the day) and did really well on 25 watts or so.

I also need a better tracking program. I'm still using Winorbit (stop
laughing) and yes I know it was designed for Windows 3.1 but it does still
work with Windows XP though I've not tried it with Windows 7 yet.  I will
probably crash and burn.

I look forward to really getting serious again.  I did discover a really
nice App for my iPhone/iPad.  It's called Spyglass by Pavel Ahafonau.  It
has a 3D compass a feature that functions like a attitude indicator, a
heading indicator and compass all in one.  I have a mount on my antenna
which is mounted to a tripod.  As I move the antenna N/S/E/W or change the
elevation angle the indicator on my iPhone tells me exactly where it's
pointed (attitude, compass and elevation).  It also uses your GPS if you
need to know where you are.  You can get it from the App Store or as Arnold
says "De App Stowa." (Never make fun of someone who speaks with an accent,
they probably speak more languages than you do...)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/spyglass/id332639548?mt=8

Kevin, WB5RUE
EL09uf
I can melt ice with my mind, it just takes a while.