[amsat-bb] FO-29 QRM

Dave Mann cwo4mann at comcast.net
Mon Jul 25 17:22:18 UTC 2016

I re-listened to the audio.  Indeed, the call was KD4MDF.  His accent was definitely central American Spanish.  Most likely a Hispanic-American; the way he used the phrase "y yo lo creo" is a colloquial Spanish expression used by many Mexican-Americans.  Literally translated it means  "ok, I got that". It really means " .. and, yes, that is it ..."  If he were European Spanish (the Mother-tongue) he would have said " Y Ya lo creo".   There are so many distinct accents and little catch phrases in Spanish it it just like English.  When I was in Spain, locals would immediately identify me as having learned Spanish from a Mexican.  FYI my mother was raised by a Mexican Nanny who was Poncho Villa's youngest sister.  I have lots of QSOs in Spanish as well as having done voice intercept operations for years, so I am sort of attuned, as it were.  Never have a problem on CW, however :-).  BTW, if you listen to the drug traffickers on 40 meters, you will hear that they have "zapatas" (shoes) --- those are kilos of heroin.   Enough of this off-topic stuff already!

Hasta lo Pronto mi Compadres (Compañeros if you are Cuban)

Dave
N4CVX
ex-VP2EHF, KR6DEM, DA1BB, /HP, G5, HS1, etc.)

Sent from my iPad