[amsat-bb] Spectacular views: Dragon and ISS clearly visible over The Netherlands !

Ken Alexander k.alexander at rogers.com
Wed Jul 20 19:26:14 UTC 2016

My first thought was that it was some vibration from the mirror and
shutter, but as you say, it doesn't happen on the stars. Still, if the
ISS is much brighter then any little vibration artifacts will be
brighter too.

Next time, you could try holding a black card in front of (but not
touching) the lens.  Then open the shutter, wait a second for everything
to quiet down and then pull the card away.

I thought I read you used a D90?  You can also use the mirror lock up
function.  There's more vibration from the mirror flipping up than from
the shutter opening.  The mirror lock up function pulls the mirror up
out of the way, waits for a second for vibrations to settle down and
then opens the shutter.  The it flips back down when the shutter
closes.  It's worth a try.

73,

Ken Alexander
VE3HLS