[amsat-bb] Trying to find my downlink

Bob WB4SON at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 17:55:13 UTC 2016

First off, I'd suggest using CW to find downlink.  It is much easier to
find that than a weak voice signal.  Do as Bernhard suggests and set your
RX to the middle of the downlink passband, then adjust your TX until you
find yourself.

FO-29 and the three XWs have fairly predictable input/output offfsets, so
once you figure it out, you only need to adjust for doppler.

AO-73 is an entirely different thing -- the uplink frequency for AO-73 is
about 10-15 KHz HIGHER than the published values as the uplink frequency
varies with spacecraft temperature, so what works on one orbit might not
work on another, but again, it will get you close (you'll be tuning your
uplink +/- 2 KHz to find yourself).

FO-29 is your best bet to begin.  VERY sensitive receiver, longer orbit
window, stable, etc.

Once you figure out your offset, MacDoppler should do a good job for
everything but AO-73, and Funcube2.

73, Bob, WB4SON