[amsat-bb] Using SATPC32 with FT 847 cabling Com port to USB

Jim Jerzycke kq6ea at verizon.net
Sat Jul 16 23:10:13 UTC 2016

It depends on when your '847 was built.

Some of the early radios were "one way", and later ones had full "two
way" communications on the serial port.

The following is from the "Supercontrol" FT-847 FAQ page:

Yaesu appears to use the following format for serial numbers on their
amateur products:

Year of manufacture-Month of manufacture-Production Run-Individual Unit
number, where the month of manufacture is offset by 2, so "C" means
January, "D" means February, "E" means March, and so forth.

Example: 8G051234 = 1998, May (fifth month, or "G"), Production Run 05,
unit #1234 in this run.

One key serial number range is 8G05. This seems to be the point at which
Yaesu had corrected the bi-directional CAT issue
<http://www.supercontrol.de/cat/ft847faq/page4.htm#catcontrol> and made
some other improvements. This version was made in May 1998. Later serial
numbers (e.g., 8L09nnnn) all seem to have incorporated the earlier
improvements plus new ones.

Thanks to Barry W4WB who wrote in with the correct information.

Yes, the serial port on the FT-847 requires a null modem adapter, per
page 91 of the operating manual. A null modem gender changer will work
just fine. I use a Keysapn 4-port USB to serial converter to eliminate
having so many "dongles" floating around on the desk, and I purchased
9-pin null modem cables with the correct sex connectors on them to
eliminate having gender changers.

The SatPC32 "changelogs" will tell you exactly what changes were made
between the various versions if you're interested. Upgrading to 12.8c is
completely painless as long as you follow the instructions.

73, Jim  KQ6EA