[amsat-bb] FCC License Question

Patrick STODDARD (WD9EWK/VA7EWK) amsat-bb at wd9ewk.net
Thu Jul 7 19:22:24 UTC 2016

Hi!

When this announcement came out last fall, I logged into the FCC's
ULS system and set my preferences to send a paper copy of my
licenses. When I renewed my amateur license in March, I had a paper
copy in my PO box about a week after I did the renewal online.
It had "Official Copy" printed across it, front and back, and was
printed on what appears to be normal white copier/printer paper.

I just logged into the ULS system this morning, and downloaded
a PDF file with all of my FCC licenses/permits - my amateur
license, a GMRS license, and a Restricted Radiotelephone Operator
Permit. These also had "Official Copy" across each page in the 5-
page PDF file - two pages each for the amateur license and RROP,
and one page for the GMRS license. This is different than the PDF
file I downloaded from the ULS system after I logged out. Anyone
can download a "Reference Copy" PDF of an FCC license, which has
"Reference Copy" printed across each page of the PDF.

I may go back and change my preference to skip the paper copy of
my FCC licenses being mailed to me. For now, I'll leave it as is.
Even though we are not required to carry a paper copy of our amateur
licenses when operating in the US, I prefer to have the wallet-
card version on me for those occasions where I might be asked for
it.

73!

Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK
http://www.wd9ewk.net/