[amsat-bb] Band designators, Modes

skristof at etczone.com skristof at etczone.com
Wed Jul 6 19:14:47 UTC 2016

Asking a question is not arguing.

Your two paragraphs below contain no rational arguments for keeping the
letter based system.

Your argument is "We've always done it that way", so learn them and move
on. Sorry, that doesn't cut it.

If you're going to use letters, can't there at least be a rational
organizational scheme to the lettering system?

The current system looks like somebody just drew letters of a hat, then
threw darts at a board of frequencies to see what the letter should
represent.

The number based system would not be that hard. You decide on wavelength
or frequency and go from there.

If I'm going to operate on SO-50, I'm going 2 m up/70 cm down. Most
hams, whether they operate satellites are not, are likely to know what
that means. I don't have to memorize or look up mode F or whatever the
heck it is.

Steve AI9IN