[amsat-bb] Band designators, Modes

Paul Stoetzer n8hm at arrl.net
Wed Jul 6 17:52:13 UTC 2016

AMSAT publications generally use the "new designators" developed prior
to the launch of AO-40, though sometimes with a parenthetical
reference to the old mode designation.

For example, from the website post regarding the selection of
RadFxSat-2 (Fox-1E) for a CSLI launch:

"The Fox-1E spacecraft bus will be built on the Fox-1 series but will
feature a linear V/U (Mode J) transponder “upgrade” to replace the
standard FM repeater which Fox-1A through D have carried."

Several parts of the website (such as the frequency guide) also use a
less known custom with the second letter in lower case (to indicate
that the second letter is 'down').

Eventually I would hope we would move away from "five and dime" or
"nickel and dime" to using C/X in reference to 5 GHz uplinks and 10
GHz downlinks.

Regardless, I do think using letters to indicate uplink and downlink
is both meaningful and useful. I especially appreciate the history
behind the A, B, and J designations (A and B originating with AO-7's
two transponders and J originating with AO-8's JAMSAT built
transponder) and use those in general conversation with other
satellite ops since it's even easier than saying U/V or V/U. The
downside with U/V and V/U is it can get confused. For example, I know
that a well-known but poorly-informed purveyor of amateur satellite
information consistently confuses the two in his materials.

73,

Paul, N8HM