[amsat-bb] Band designators, Modes

Peter Laws plaws0 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 19:59:27 UTC 2016

I thought AMSAT was moving away from Modes A, B, J, etc, but they seem
too entrenched and still appear in current pubs.  Regardless, the band
designations, loosely based on microwave band designators (later
"codified" by IEEE), were for whatever reason interesting to me so I
made a chart.  It started out as just the microwaves ... then I added
the satellite stuff ... then I added the stuff that is microwave, but
non-amateur/non-satellite but in the same neighborhood.

It's mostly microwave-centric but I put all the FCC bands designated
for space station use in there, too, and as some of you know, that
goes down as low as 40 m (which is *not* microwave :-) ).

Anyway, the only "name space collision" between AMSAT designators and
IEEE designators is the AMSAT R band (47000 - 47200 MHz), which is
part of the IEEE V band (40000 - 75000 MHz).  That happens because
AMSAT's V band is 144 - 146 MHz.

The only other anomaly is that we amateurs have two allocations within
the what the IEEE calls the S-band (2000 - 4000 MHz), which are 2400 -
2450 MHz (13 cm) and 3400 - 3410 MHz (9 cm) -- both ham bands are
wider but these are the FCC space station allocations.  I've seen the
amateur allocation at 9 cm referred to as "S2" but I don't know how
official that is.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oJV0Bv24mHhq_eICUp3L6g4pTy-wItUWfkyT-Uf5z0g/edit?usp=sharing

Anyway, I keep stumbling on allocations that seem relevant so I keep
adding them.  I need to add the historical notes, too, like where the
K and X letters came from as well as the
"hopefully-but-not-quite-yet-obsolete" satellite mode designators.
Some of that info is linked to the page.

Looking forward to the Mode CX satellites ...