[amsat-bb] Need help understanding inverting transponder

Ronald G. Parsons w5rkn at w5rkn.com
Sat Jan 31 18:40:47 UTC 2015

The way MacDoppler and SatPC32 handles Doppler shift is by keeping the
frequency a constant on both the uplink and downlink AT THE SATELLITE. This
is commonly called Full Doppler Tuning.

As the satellite approaches you, the frequency you receive on the downlink
is higher than the frequency at the satellite and decreases as the satellite
passes the point of closest approach  (when the Doppler shift is zero) and
continues to decrease as the satellite approaches LOS.

MacDoppler compensates for the Doppler shift in order to keep the frequency
at the satellite a constant. This is advantageous as others can join the QSO
and everyone will be at the same frequency at the satellite. It will appear
to you that there is no Doppler shift -- the best method and easily
accomplished by computer control.

If you tune your receiver up or down, MacDoppler will compensate by tuning
your transmitter down or up by the same amount, and then compensate for
Doppler shift as above.

Hope this helps.
Ron W5RKN

Message: 5