[amsat-bb] Hamsat uses for a 3d printer?

David G0MRF g0mrf at aol.com
Thu Jan 29 15:39:15 UTC 2015

Hi Andy

If you have a look at the current edition of Oscar News from AMSAT-UK, you'll see that
our team working on the payload for the ESEO satellite have used 3D printing to produce a model
of the payload enclosure.
I believe the original computer modelling used STEP files to generate all of the drawings and that these were then
adapted for use with the 3D printer.
The final enclosure for the L band to VHF  FM transponder has to be milled from a solid block. As we didn't
want to do that job twice (250 x 100 x 50mm and expensive) it made perfect sense to produce one with 3D printing
to ensure that all the mountings and cut-outs were in the correct position.

Thanks

David  G0MRF