[amsat-bb] Hamsat uses for a 3d printer?

andy thomas andythomasmail at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jan 29 13:23:24 UTC 2015

Hi I am thinking of investing in a 3D printer or using one at our local makespace. Here in the UK a magazine is offering a weekly build-by-component series to make a 3d printer that will run on a pc or mac and uses DOT stl files for the design. A lsow build but an interesting idea nonetheless. I have seen at ESTEC 3d printed model plastic cubesats and am aware of the experiment on the ISS but do not know the software used or data file format. I was wondering if anyone on the -bb has experience of using a 3D printer for outreach or (like SATNOGS) for building rotator gears, and if so whether the file extension DOTstl is an industry standard for this work? I wonder if the estec and nasa files would be reachable by, say, the freedom of information legislation, or would be handed over. many thanks 73 de andy g0sfj