[amsat-bb] 2m or 70cm masthead preamp first?

w4upd updwrb at bristor-assoc.com
Mon Jan 26 15:12:48 UTC 2015

I for one do not recommend the Mirage 2 or 70cm pre-amps unless they are
the older models or you are not using them in full-duplex satellite
mode. The newer versions are in a plastic box with stainless steel
mounting  bracket. No shielding and as a result strong intermod in
full-duplex.

I'm in the market myself for another 2-meter mast mounted to replace the
newer Mirage KP-2 that I once had since I use them primarily for
satellite work.

To answer your other question, I would, when possible, use mast mounted
pre-amps instead of in-shack due to that they amplify noise as well as
signals. Mount near the antenna you'll have more of the signal amplified
and less noise. This is more prevalent when going higher in frequency
such as 70 cm.

Reid, W4UPD