[amsat-bb] Handheld for LEO satellites?

Paul Stoetzer n8hm at arrl.net
Wed Jan 21 01:39:32 UTC 2015

Well, I certainly wouldn't recommend that!

I did work a guy in New Brunswick doing just that. I think he said he was
using the hood of his car as a bit of a reflector too, but that's certainly
not going to be adequate for SO-50 in any but the most ideal circumstances.

An FT-817 is a great radio to get started with satellites as you then have
lots of options for getting a second radio to use as a receiver. I started
out trying a TH-F6A as my receiver, then moved to an Icom IC-R10 that I
made several hundred QSOs with as my downlink receiver, and finally the
second FT-817 that I use today. Others have gotten used UHF or VHF
multimode radios, the FUNcube Dongle, or others.

As far as HTs...WD9EWK has probably tested just about every cheap Chinese
HT on the market for use as a receiver on SO-50. He'll probably kick in his
advice here.

73,

Paul, N8HM