[amsat-bb] Handheld for LEO satellites?

B J va6bmj at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 01:22:38 UTC 2015

On 1/20/15, Steve Kristoff <skristof at etczone.com> wrote:
> I'm new to the list and have been listening to some satellites. I'd like to
> move on to QSOs. Can folks recommend a handheld that will get me on the most
> commonly used satellites? I'd be grateful for multiple suggestions and
> reviews.
> Thanks!

<snip>

When I was first on the birds, I used my FT-817 with its stock rubber
duck.  I held the radio in one hand and my microphone with the other.
That technique had its limits as I had to keep twisting my hand in
order to get a decent signal.

That eventually led me to replace that antenna with an Arrow Yagi, but
it was no longer a hand-held rig after that.

73s

Bernhard VA6BMJ @ DO33FL