[amsat-bb] Handheld for LEO satellites?

tom.wz9u at gmail.com tom.wz9u at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 22:32:04 UTC 2015

An alternative and very popular approach that has brought success to
many is to purchase and utilize a pair of inexpensive Chinese
handhends.  The Baofeng UV-5R and Wouxons are gaining in popularity.

I would suggest the Baofeng UV-82 in lieu of the UV-5R … although there are more accessories for the UV-5R (notably an extended battery pack), these are less necessary with the UV-82.

A Baofeng UV-82 is about $35 on Amazon, and you can buy a handheld speaker/mic and battery eliminator (or spare battery) for about $5 each on eBay.  I can heartily recommend the UV-82, and with the (free) CHIRP programming software it’s a snap to configure for satellite ops.

Tom WZ9U