[amsat-bb] Handheld for LEO satellites?

Ted k7trkradio at charter.net
Tue Jan 20 22:35:13 UTC 2015

FYI, UV5RA's now $31.26 on Amazon

73, ted
K7TRK

-----Original Message-----
From: amsat-bb-bounces at amsat.org [mailto:amsat-bb-bounces at amsat.org] On
Behalf Of Clayton Coleman
Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2015 2:27 PM
To: Steve Kristoff
Cc: AMSAT-BB
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] Handheld for LEO satellites?

Hi Steve,

The only full-duplex handheld manufactured today (and well-tested on
the satellites) is the Kenwood TH-D72.  Don't rule out it's
predecessor, the Kenwood TH-D7.  There are other now-discontinued
models from Icom (The W-32A) and Yaesu (FT-530 or FT-51) that work
modestly.  You can find some good deals on these radios if you shop
around.  I've owned/used both the Kenwood TH-D7 and Yaesu FT-530.
Both work great on SO-50.

An alternative and very popular approach that has brought success to
many is to purchase and utilize a pair of inexpensive Chinese
handhends.  The Baofeng UV-5R and Wouxons are gaining in popularity.
Instead of investing $200+ in one radio, you can buy two of these and
have a modest FM satellite station for under $100.

73
Clayton
W5PFG

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 4:18 PM, Steve Kristoff <skristof at etczone.com>
wrote:
> I'm new to the list and have been listening to some satellites. I'd like
to move on to QSOs. Can folks recommend a handheld that will get me on the
most commonly used satellites? I'd be grateful for multiple suggestions and
reviews.