[amsat-bb] Handheld for LEO satellites?

Clayton Coleman kayakfishtx at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 22:26:56 UTC 2015

Hi Steve,

The only full-duplex handheld manufactured today (and well-tested on
the satellites) is the Kenwood TH-D72.  Don't rule out it's
predecessor, the Kenwood TH-D7.  There are other now-discontinued
models from Icom (The W-32A) and Yaesu (FT-530 or FT-51) that work
modestly.  You can find some good deals on these radios if you shop
around.  I've owned/used both the Kenwood TH-D7 and Yaesu FT-530.
Both work great on SO-50.

An alternative and very popular approach that has brought success to
many is to purchase and utilize a pair of inexpensive Chinese
handhends.  The Baofeng UV-5R and Wouxons are gaining in popularity.
Instead of investing $200+ in one radio, you can buy two of these and
have a modest FM satellite station for under $100.

73
Clayton
W5PFG