[amsat-bb] AO27 future?

Paul Stoetzer n8hm at arrl.net
Tue Jan 20 15:41:04 UTC 2015

John,

The last update on the AO-27 website was September 23rd:

"Sept 23, 2014
AO-27 Turns 21 today. The controll team is in the process of writing a new
BIOS and OS for the satellite.
- Michael, N3UC"

http://www.ao27.org/

Whether or not they are able to get it working again is anyone's guess.

Even if AO-27 is not able to be recovered, we still will hopefully have
three more FM satellites coming online this year. EO-80 is already in orbit
and will be activated for amateur use when it's science mission is over
(hopefully that's coming soon), plus Fox-1A currently scheduled to launch
on August 27th, and Fox-1C currently scheduled to launch in the third
quarter of this year. As all three of those satellites use 2 meter
downlinks, they should have much stronger signals than SO-50 and AO-27.

73,

Paul, N8HM