[amsat-bb] Satellite access

Paul Stoetzer n8hm at arrl.net
Tue Jan 20 15:36:01 UTC 2015

Jacob,

A couple of different points:

First, the only satellite that is not available in eclipse of our four
voice satellites (AO-7, FO-29, SO-50, and AO-73) is AO-7 as it runs solely
off of solar power. AO-73, in it's normal mode, is actually only available
for amateur use while it is in eclipse.

Second, the satellites are anywhere from 595 km to 1,459 km above the
Earth's surface. In many cases, while it's dark on the ground, the
satellite may be in sunlight. For example, FO-29 is in constant sunlight
until sometime in March (and it was definitely dark at 3:16am when I was
using it this morning) while AO-7 is in constant sunlight until April. Many
tracking programs will tell you whether or not a satellite is in sunlight.
Ir yours doesn't, N2YO's website is convenient for checking:
http://www.n2yo.com/?s=39444

73,

Paul, N8HM