[amsat-bb] AMSAT @ Thunderbird Hamfest last Saturday - report

Patrick STODDARD (WD9EWK/VA7EWK) amsat-bb at wd9ewk.net
Mon Jan 12 14:34:31 UTC 2015

Hi!

First of all, thanks to everyone who worked WD9EWK
during last Saturday's Thunderbird Hamfest in Phoenix.
Having other stations calling and mentioning some
details about their location - beyond the grid locator -
helps the crowd better understand the coverage of our
satellites.

Due to the passes that morning, I was only able to work
an early FO-29 pass and a couple of AO-73 passes later
in the morning.  WD9EWK was also on an early ISS pass,
trying to make packet QSOs from the hamfest site, and
two NO-44 passes. Unfortunately, no packet QSOs were
logged, but I did copy KC9ELU in Indiana and N8HM in
Washington DC during the NO-44 passes.

After the 1345-1355 UTC ISS pass, I received an e-mail
from EMike KC8YLD.  EMike was in Portland OR, and
happened to have his Yaesu VX-8R monitoring that pass.
EMike saw my call and location appear on the radio's
display.  We did not make a QSO through the ISS packet
digipeater, but EMike did send me photos of his radio's
display showing my call sign and location. My first
SWL report for packet transmissions.  I owe him a QSL
card to confirm that report.  :-)

The hamfest had a great turnout, both for sellers and
those walking around the site - a church parking lot.
The weather helped as well, with no rain and temperatures
at the start of the event around 50F/10C.  A couple of
years ago, the temperatures were around 24F/-4C at the
start of the event, and didn't reach 32F/0c until late
that morning.  During the morning, I was using my @WD9EWK
Twitter feed to post updates and some photos from the
hamfest.  Those photos are still available to view,
even if you do not use Twitter, by scrolling back through
my tweets at http://twitter.com/WD9EWK in a web browser.
The demonstrations, especially the two AO-73 demonstrations
later in the morning, had great crowds watching and
listening.

Thanks to the Thunderbird Amateur Radio Club (W7TBC),
and in particular Israel AD7ND and Rick K7TEJ (both
AMSAT members), for once again providing AMSAT space for
a table and operating location at the hamfest!

73!

Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK
http://www.wd9ewk.net/