[amsat-bb] FO-29 Passband

Patrick STODDARD (WD9EWK/VA7EWK) amsat-bb at wd9ewk.net
Sun Jan 11 00:58:20 UTC 2015

Paul,

Yes, that's how we should be using FO-29.  I had set up
shop around .875 initially.  I moved up to work W5PFG/1
around .880, then went back down a few kHz from Clayton
for the remainder of the pass.  I was looking for a few
stations (like you) who wanted DM33, and didn't want to
collide with W5PFG/1 working from northern Maine.  It
seemed to work out well.  No muss, no fuss - for those
willing to spin the VFO knob(s), or adjust the
frequency/frequencies in their software.

Near the end of that pass for me, I heard an N8 calling
CQ in CW right on top of me.  I have the full call on my
recording, but that isn't with me right now at the office.
At this point, I was around .865 on the downlink.  I
appreciate the thought of not calling CQ near the center
of the passband, but I'm sure there was a lot of open
space below .850 for CW.   I even tried replying in CW,
and the N8 went away when I did that.

Glad I could finally work you from DM33, to get that off
your to-do list.  73!

Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK
http://www.wd9ewk.net/