[amsat-bb] Anyone want to try for NO-44 QSOs Sunday @ 1557 or 1738 UTC?

Patrick STODDARD (WD9EWK/VA7EWK) amsat-bb at wd9ewk.net
Sun Jan 4 00:51:13 UTC 2015

Hi!

In the past week or so, I have been trying to send
packets through the NO-44 satellite, after seeing
its beacon while trying to work the ISS digipeater.
Thanks to Mike KC9ELU, I was able to complete a
packet QSO via NO-44 on Thursday @ 1731 UTC.  I'm
going to try again tomorrow (Sunday) morning, on
the passes around 1557 and 1738 UTC.  If anyone is
on and able to try to work me, that would be great.

NO-44 is on the same 145.825 MHz frequency as the
ISS digipeater, but using VIA W3ADO-1 as the UNPROTO
path instead of VIA ARISS as we would use with the
ISS digipeater.  I have found that my TH-D72A works
better when I start out on 145.830 MHz simplex for
the first few minutes of a pass, and then tuning down
to the nominal 145.825 MHz frequency for the remainder
of the pass. This may not be the case with your radio,
so you may want to switch between 145.825 and 145.830
MHz early in the pass, to see which sounds better at
your radio. I am not using a computer with my HT,
so my transmissions will be in the form of APRS
messages.  If you are using a similar radio, or
software like UISS, you can also use APRS messages
to make QSOs.

NO-44 has lots of issues, but it can work well on
daylight passes - especially when the ISS is not
in view of the satellite.  If you are able to work
either of these passes, I hope to hear you - and
complete another QSO on this satellite.

Thanks in advance, and 73!

Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK
http://www.wd9ewk.net/