[amsat-bb] FO29 with an Arrow

Dave Swanson dave at druidnetworks.com
Fri Jan 2 16:59:42 UTC 2015

I just got done doing a multi-state road trip using both an Arrow in
stock configuration, and using just the 70cm portion to receive and a
vertical to uplink. I was using an 857 to uplink, and a Funcube Dongle
Pro+ plugged into my laptop to receive. 10 ft of LMR240, a diplexer on
the rx to deal with any desense, and that was it. No pre-amps or
anything else. It worked flawlessly. I was able to constantly hear the
bird at 2°-3° when I was out in the plains away from trees, and tracking
the bird was easy. I was just holding the Arrow, because I have never
had much luck using a tripod. While FO29 doesn't seem to polarity flop
as much as SO50 does, being able to twist it to get the best downlink on
the fly has given me the best luck.

Your mileage may vary, and I'm still the newb here, but that's my 2 cents.

-Dave, KG5CCI