[amsat-bb] Expectations...

Clayton Coleman kayakfishtx at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 06:10:56 UTC 2015

The #1 thing I've noticed is how much more important it is to tune for
Doppler shift than when the ISS was using the Kenwood radio.

I've done several tests decoding packets using my Kenwood TM-D700 which has
5 kHz tuning steps common on most 2m FM radios and then compared results to
my Yaesu FT-857D which has much finer incremental tuning.

In the past, I could decode most of a pass simply staying on 145.825 MHz.
Nowadays, I start decoding around 145.828 and usually by LOS I'm decoding
near 145.822.

With the smaller tuning steps of the FT-857D I am able to decode about 30%
more packets than my TM-D700.

Simply put, in the past a fixed station could stay on 145.825 MHz with
great results. Today, not so much.

73
Clayton
W5PFG