[amsat-bb] Question about AMSAT BB

Joe Fitzgerald jfitzgerald at alum.wpi.edu
Tue Aug 25 02:39:25 UTC 2015

On 8/24/2015 7:52 PM, Rick Walter wrote:
>  What is the average time between someone sending a
> post and when it actually appears on the BB?

When a message "appears on the BB" has a couple of different answers.
Your note "appeared"  via the web interface a few seconds before 2:47 PM
EDT today

http://amsat.org/pipermail/amsat-bb/2015-August/054624.html

Google's mail server accepted the remailed message from amsat-bb to
wb3csy at gmail.com at 2:47:12 EDT.   Once Gmail accepted the message, that
is the last I can see of it from the logs on our mail server. I don't
know when it "appeared" in your in your inbox.  Google does strange and
mysterious things* to protect its users from spam, perhaps they are
using some new method that results in delivery delays that can't be
observed from the sending mail server.

Rick,  thanks for this report.   I'll see if there is anything I can do
to improve delivery from our end.

-Joe KM1P
AMSAT Electronic Services

*Sometimes our mail server is "greylisted" by Google.  Greylisting is a
spam control method where mail is temporarily rejected on the theory
that spammers usually don't attempt periodic retries to a temporary
delivery failure like legitimate mail senders do.   It is not clear why
we are put on Google's greylist (or how we get off of it), but that does
not appear to be what happened here since they accepted the remailed
message right away.