[amsat-bb] 2013 AMSAT Symposium in Houston - My Observations
gkcarr at go-express.net
gkcarr at go-express.net
Sat Nov 9 16:01:14 PST 2013
This was my first AMSAT-NA symposium. (I had been to at least two UK ones.)
It was excellent.
Great to put the faces with the voices. I felt right art home. And of course it was a great pleasure to finally meet Hector. We have gotten to know each other so well over the last few years via emails.
It was also a treat to meet and get my picture with W5LFL. It was my unsuccessful attempt in 1983 to talk to him that kindled my interest in the hamsats. I treasure the recording I made of his pass in Columbia. I had my then 5 yr old son assist me in constructing the turnstile antenna. He is now KB5ILL. He got his ticket at age 12.
(Do I hear the rumblings for a Journal article? Hi!)
The symposium planners did a great job.
From: "Clayton Coleman" <kayakfishtx at gmail.com>
Sent: Friday, November 8, 2013 12:15
To: "AMSAT-BB" <amsat-bb at amsat.org>
Subject: [amsat-bb] 2013 AMSAT Symposium in Houston - My Observations
1. It was great to see so many operators in attendance. I lost
count of the total but here are just a few of the more frequent North
American stations heard on the birds: N5AFV, N5ZNL, AC0RA,
CO6CBF/KF5YXV, KO4MA, WD9EWK K5OE/M0GOE, WA5KBH, KF5LOQ, N8RO, N0JE
2. There were lots of great presentations. I stayed awake for most!
3. The forecast for future transponder-capable satellites (FM &
SSB) looks bright.
4. The banquet panel was outstanding and very well received by all.
5. Houston knows how to put on a fun Symposium. Kudos to the
6. I was pleased to see some of the developments around
licensing Cubesats in terms of experimental versus amateur licensing.
7. We had an eclectic collection of amateurs in attendance – all
with their own unique perspectives in building and/or operating
satellites. You could likely never assemble such a team outside of
the AMSAT Symposium venue.
8. There are many kind and generous individuals within AMSAT-NA
who were supportive of one of our foreign visitors and in making his
9. Only a few people fell asleep during my presentation. None snored.
10. Even Texas BBQ from Papa’s is better than Memphis B-B-Q.
The opinions and observations made above are those of W5PFG and not of
any other entity.
Sent via AMSAT-BB at amsat.org. Opinions expressed are those of the author.
Not an AMSAT-NA member? Join now to support the amateur satellite program!
Subscription settings: http://amsat.org/mailman/listinfo/amsat-bb
More information about the AMSAT-BB