[amsat-bb] 2013 AMSAT Symposium in Houston - My Observations
kayakfishtx at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 10:15:17 PST 2013
1. It was great to see so many operators in attendance. I lost
count of the total but here are just a few of the more frequent North
American stations heard on the birds: N5AFV, N5ZNL, AC0RA,
CO6CBF/KF5YXV, KO4MA, WD9EWK K5OE/M0GOE, WA5KBH, KF5LOQ, N8RO, N0JE
2. There were lots of great presentations. I stayed awake for most!
3. The forecast for future transponder-capable satellites (FM &
SSB) looks bright.
4. The banquet panel was outstanding and very well received by all.
5. Houston knows how to put on a fun Symposium. Kudos to the
6. I was pleased to see some of the developments around
licensing Cubesats in terms of experimental versus amateur licensing.
7. We had an eclectic collection of amateurs in attendance – all
with their own unique perspectives in building and/or operating
satellites. You could likely never assemble such a team outside of
the AMSAT Symposium venue.
8. There are many kind and generous individuals within AMSAT-NA
who were supportive of one of our foreign visitors and in making his
9. Only a few people fell asleep during my presentation. None snored.
10. Even Texas BBQ from Papa’s is better than Memphis B-B-Q.
The opinions and observations made above are those of W5PFG and not of
any other entity.
More information about the AMSAT-BB