[amsat-bb] Re: 22% votes

John Spasojevich johnag9d at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 15:09:16 PDT 2012

The way I understand this age old train of thought and I get it a lot from
my local hams when I do a hamfest for AMSAT in my area is that, just like
in many ham clubs, there are a group of people who feel that they are "real
hams". Whether it's because they had to pass a harder test ( as in the old
advanced test was harder then the current extra ) of they had to pass a 20
WPM code test or they had to drive to the FCC and that people coming into
the hobby today are second class citizens, not good enough because the test
criteria changed. Same thing with AMSAT. Unless you work linear birds you
are not a "real" satellite operator. We can take that a step or two
farther. I'd say you are not a real satellite operator unless you use the
old Oscar Locator, figure your own pass predictions without the benefit of
a computer. We can make the argument of who is a better man all day long
and still end up with the same two groups on opposite sides of the room.
No doubt a HEO bird or geosync is idea, we've read it here a million times.
We've heard the "build it and they will come" comments a million times. No
one ever talks about the reality. Most of you guys who want HEO admit that
you don't support AMSAT in it's current mission. So I assume you don't go
to symposiums or have other routes to information.  How much did AO40 cost
in it's day?  That part I don't know. I recall a slide from the 2010
Symposium I think it was that showed the cost of a replacement AO-51 and it
was around $500K, the price IntelSat wanted just to place a transponder on
the open space of their bird and carry it to geosync was $1.2M.  So how
long will it take all of you "build it and they will come" guys to pony up
that kind of money?  Then there is a launch...visit www.batc.tv and watch
AMSAT-DL's 2012 symposium update.  P3E is sitting almost ready to go, the
hardware is nearly 5 years old...there is no launch...no   one can
realistically raise that much money. If you have noticed there is not
really that much development of new launchers so no opportunities to ride
as ballast like in the old days.

If you are going to push education, it's not real easy to sell someone like
NASA who has launchers available, that their interest in education is
served by launching an AO-40 replacement when it'll be full of "real hams"
and little opportunity for students. The road to reduced cost launches lies
with the education card and that is the path AMSAT-NA is on and until one
of the "real hams" wants to step up and head a drive to raise several
million dollars, I think you'll all be dead a buried before another AO-40

John - AG9D

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 3:49 PM, John Becker <w0jab at big-river.net> wrote:

> I sent this direct first but was rejected because I'm not on his "approved"
> list.
> Ken
> I really think that there are a large number like myself waiting to
> see what is going to happen for a replacement for AO40.
>  From people that I have talked to with a license calls above tech
> and more then a HT could care less about another FM bird.
> John
> At 03:47 PM 9/18/2012, you wrote:
> >I disagree with the principle of prodding apathetic people to vote.  If
> somebody isn't willing to do the research, fill out a card, and mail it
> back, then why should we go out of our way to get a vote they themselves
> apparently don't care about.  I'm more interested in the opinions of those
> who are motivated enough to do this relatively simple task.  I don't
> understand the fixation with getting a higher percentage of the membership
> to vote.
> >
> >73, Ken N2WWD
> _______________________________________________
> Sent via AMSAT-BB at amsat.org. Opinions expressed are those of the author.
> Not an AMSAT-NA member? Join now to support the amateur satellite program!
> Subscription settings: http://amsat.org/mailman/listinfo/amsat-bb

More information about the AMSAT-BB mailing list