[amsat-bb] Re: SO-50 and FT-847

Sat Sep 1 08:31:10 PDT 2012

Some FT-847s have been reported to be a bit flakey with SO-50.  Others have
reported no problems.  I have a different rig now, but my experience was
that it normally worked fine, but that every now and then I would get a pass
like yours.  The PL deviation and frequency checked fine, so I never found
an explanation at the shack end.

-----Original Message-----
From: amsat-bb-bounces at amsat.org [mailto:amsat-bb-bounces at amsat.org] On
Behalf Of Michael J. Wolthuis
Sent: Saturday, September 01, 2012 9:47 AM
To: amsat-bb at amsat.org
Subject: [amsat-bb] SO-50 and FT-847

Good morning Amsat,

I have been struggling this morning to work SO-50 from an FT-847 and
wondering if I am missing something.

I had a 26deg pass today and could hear everyone fine.

I am transmitting on 145.8500 +/- auto Doppler correction.  I am using PL
encode set in the radio on 67hz.  I have the transmit on the subband and
receive on the main band.

Am I missing something simple?  I couldn't seem to get into the satellite
today no matter what I did.

I have never been able to work SO-50.  This same setup performed flawlessly
on AO-51.  My only thought is the CTCSS tone is not being generated or is
not transmitting on the SUB Band?  It does state ENC for Tone Encode on the
FT-847 sub band.

Curious what the list thinks I may have wrong?  I really want to get active
on SO-50 for the rest of the summer.

Thanks for any thoughts, ideas, past gotchas, etc..