[amsat-bb] Re: Falcon 9 Engine Anomaly

B J va6bmj at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 23:18:44 PDT 2012

On 10/8/12, R Oler <orbitjet at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah...about 1:20 just as they are going supersonic the number 1 engine
> "rapidly disassembles"...it was hard to see this in real time but you knew
> something was up when they announced a longer burn...26 seconds.
> Having said that...I have been in a Boeing when the CF-6 on the starboard
> wing threw blades and the kevlar there worked as well...so this is all in
> all an impressive thing that they rolled past this and went on to orbit
> but they will want to understand why (likely) the turbopump came apart
> ...you can in the picture see the nozzle in half and non directed
> "flame"...
> I dont know of another multi engine rocket that would have survived this.
> the shuttle probably would not have.  Robert WB5MZO

I watched the launch on the Internet and didn't take much notice of
the problem others than the exhaust plume briefly expanding.

Apparently it 's not the first time the Falcon 9 had engine problems
during flight:

If I recall correctly, during one of the earlier space shuttle
missions, one of the main engines shut down early during launch but
the spacecraft still made it into orbit.

Bernhard VA6BMJ @ DO33FL