[amsat-bb] Phelps Dodge Cavity Resonator 406-512 MHz for mode J. Also request for info.

Bill Bordy, NJ1H nj1h at comcast.net
Mon Nov 5 20:04:52 PST 2012

I am now on mode J with a transverter and my Flex-5000A. I picked up a
Downeast 144-28 transverter at the local hamfest, and experienced
overload on the 435 MHz downlink when transmitting on 2M. I had seen
this before with my FT-736R

At a previous hamfest, I saw a Phelps Dodge Cavity Resonator marked
406-512 MHz and bought it for $1 thinking that it may resolve the
overload problem. Well, I finally tried it in path for the 435 MHz .

Wow, great fix. I have it in front of my 435 MHz preamp and now have no
movement of noise floor when transmitting on the 2M uplink.

It also has CAT NO 495-509 marked on it. Not sure about the second 5,
could be a 3 since number is worn badly.

I did a WEB search and didn't find any technical information specific to
this model. If anyone has information, would you supply me with a link
or info?

If you can find one of these, don't pass it up. A single tuning
adjustment on top. I peaked it during a FO-29 pass. I then discovered a
local 435 MHz noise source, I think a cable distribution box, than I
could peak on also. Fortunately it is only in one direction and beam has
to be right on to see.

There may be other cavity resonators that would work.

73,
Bill
NJ1H