[amsat-bb] Re: Satellite capable hams along NW Africa coast?

Trevor . m5aka at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Nov 4 04:20:03 PST 2012

--- On Sat, 3/11/12, Andrew Glasbrenner <glasbrenner at mindspring.com> wrote:
> Pondering things today, I wonder if
> there are any satellite capable hams along the NW African
> coast? I have short windows into Algeria, Morocco, Western
> Sahara, Mauritania, Senegal, and maybe a little further south.

CN8LL in Morocco may be your best bet.

It's a bleak region for amateur radio, the last figures released by IARU showed the following number of amateur stations:

Algeria - 60
Morocco - 176
Western Sahara - no figures presumably zero hams
Mauritania - 20
Senegal - 41

That's 297 hams total. You could take the percentage of US Hams who are AMSAT-NA members and apply it to 297 to get the number likely to be active.

73 Trevor M5AKA