[amsat-bb] Re: U-110 Rotor Setup

Joel Black w4jbb at charter.net
Tue Jul 3 04:41:27 PDT 2012

Okay, that sounds familiar, John.  It had pots that may have been belt
driven that increased or decreased the resistance depending on rotation.

Something else I remember - the person put a plastic garbage can over it
to keep out the rain.  I know why he did that.  I just find it amusing
that I remember that detail.

Let me ask one other question before I get to comments.  I actually have
one U-100 and one U-110.  Is this going to be an issue?  I'm not sure
what the difference is.

@AA5AM:  Don't put too much into it.  I thought someone might remember
it off the top of their head.  There are several solutions that I got
that may be better than what I was looking for.

@KL7XJ:  I vaguely remember the SatEL being advertised in the Journal.
I think it is time to renew my AMSAT membership and maybe purchase those
DVD's.

@VK4HHH:  I have looked at K8DAV's setup quite a bit.  I got myself
confused thinking it only worked over a parallel port (that is an issue
but can be overcome unless portable/field).  However, I realized the
basic stamp controller worked over a serial port (not an issue).  I may
go this route, but I'm still looking for options. Will this setup work
using SatPC32 which was my preferred tracking software when I was
satellite active?

@KO6TH:  I like your approach.  Let me see if I got my head wrapped
around your design - serial interface to the FODtrack board which then
controlled your controller?  That's pretty cool.

@VU2POP:  Very nice homebrew tower and rotor setup.

Still working out my options.  I just want something simple that I can
take to the field using a modern laptop.

Lot's of good suggestions here.

Downloaded the form to renew my AMSAT membership too.

73,
Joel - W4JBB