[amsat-bb] Re: Looking for a G3RUH dish

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Jan 3 11:19:48 PST 2012

> I'm looking for one of the 60cm G3RUH dishes

Got one, (but not available).

Questions:  I measured reflector grid separation as .88 inches which works
out to be about 0.18 wavelength.  I always thought the grid had to be
tighter than 0.1 inches to be an effective "surface".

Maybe the difference with almost double the spacing is not that significant?
(especially for a steel one which would be quite heavy.

Reason I am asking is that I also need another S band dish (at 70 MPH on the
roof of a tracking van) and we are thinking about building one by using an
old solid 6' TVRO dish as a form and laying in copper wire and soldering it
to copper straps.  With all that labor, I'd not want to get the spacing

Bob, Wb4APR