[amsat-bb] Icom AG-35 Preamp Question

Lawn, Richard RLawn at uarts.edu
Sat Aug 11 15:29:46 PDT 2012

I bought an Icom AG-35 preamp about a year ago. The fellow ham advertised it
as virtually brand new and it was/is. I planned to use it this summer with a
TS-2000 which doesn't supply 12v voltage to the coax to power a preamp as
other xcvrs do. I used a Mirage KP2 unit to inject power to the coax to
drive mast mounted the preamp. When I turn the power on there seems to be
little or no noticeable difference in background noise and worse than that I
cannot here any signals on FO-29 downlink, and I know the bird has been
active. Any suggestions? Is the preamp fried? I can't even get the weather
proof case off to trouble shoot, not that I'd know what to look for. Any
suggestions on repair?