[amsat-bb] Re: HB9DRV

Gordon JC Pearce gordonjcp at gjcp.net
Wed Sep 28 23:34:17 PDT 2011

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 23:47:09 -0400
Ben Jackson <bbj at innismir.net> wrote:

> I open source my software. Why? Because I /know/ my code is horrid.
> Nowhere to go but up.

You know, I was going to say the exact thing.  I know my code is pretty horrible in places, but the more people that say "that bit is horrible, it should be like *this*" the better my coding gets.  I'm still just learning.  I've only been at it for 25 years, and I doubt I'll ever stop just learning.

> > If HRD was open sourced, I guarantee the satellite tracking piece
> > would work perfectly for all radios because we would have fixed it.
> However, that's a big statement to make. Getting an active development
> community around you codebase is a bit difficult. There is no way to
> guarantee such things.

Well the first thing to do would be to remove the existing radio controlling code and offload that to hamlib, if it doesn't already...

Gordon JC Pearce MM0YEQ <gordonjcp at gjcp.net>