[amsat-bb] Re: HB9DRV

Gordon JC Pearce gordonjcp at gjcp.net
Wed Sep 28 02:50:44 PDT 2011

On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 14:17:53 -0500
"Greg Beat" <gregory.beat at comcast.net> wrote:

> "The support effort required has become more than I can realistically manage
> - with many thousands of users, new radios and other hardware appearing all
> the time and unexpected changes to the infrastructure used by HRD such as
> QRZ.com I no longer have any time at all for other projects.

Why not just open-source it?  It's already free-as-in-beer.  If it was also free-as-in-speech then there would be a potentially far greater number of eyes on the code, and a broader range of contributors.  There's also the chance to use existing work like hamlib in it, and avoid duplication of effort on driving all these different radios.

I've never understood why so many in the amateur radio community are so keen to share circuit diagrams, antenna designs and all sorts of other information, but keep their software to themselves.  In this case, it's a no-brainer - HRD needs a lot of work, and there is a willing community out there who would do it given the chance.

Proprietary software has absolutely no place in amateur radio.

--
Gordon JC Pearce MM0YEQ <gordonjcp at gjcp.net>