[amsat-bb] Re: Epic Failure at DN20

Clayton Coleman W5PFG kayakfishtx at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 04:42:59 PDT 2011

Kevin,

Fortunately our portable operations are for leisure and lives aren't
at stake when our communications fail.  Last night, I left on a
journey and as usual brought along some satellite gear.  My plan for
the week is to activate some grids south and west of Amarillo, TX
while making my business rounds.

Two hours down the road, I stopped to make my first pass.  Using my
usual setup, I was completely unable to hear a pass of SO-50 and then
AO-51.  Not being able to hear AO-51 spelled trouble since it was a
good pass of 30 degrees elevation.  Recognizing a problem was only the
first step.  When I arrived at my destination last night, I was able
to deduce the problem to a short patch cord between my downlink
antenna and diplexer.

I carry a minimal set of backup equipment. This allowed me to make
some contacts previously scheduled this morning on the 10:40 UTC pass
of AO-51.   I don't have a backup patch cord with me but I will
probably stop in Oklahoma City and source a substitute.

And now for the rest of the story... This is all for fun but a little
preparation and backup gear can make a world of difference when
"Murphy" strikes!  I learned something else to add to my backup
supplies for the next trip.

73
Clayton
W5PFG