[amsat-bb] Re: -={Echo Madness}=-

Andrew Glasbrenner glasbrenner at mindspring.com
Thu Mar 31 05:42:39 PDT 2011

That's fine Joe. I don't expect everyone to walk in lockstep. What I do expect is to not be accused, as others have, of impropriety within what I do for AMSAT. That type of accusation will elicit an aggressive, overwhelming defense every time.

73, Drew KO4MA

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 31, 2011, at 7:01 AM, "Gary \"Joe\" Mayfield" <gary_mayfield at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Okay, I'll go public as well.  I sent Clint a private email.  I disagree
> with what Drew did.  I appreciate he has a truly thankless job.  I have
> nothing but respect for him.  The amount of time and energy it takes to do
> the many good things he does for us is huge.  I know I could not do it, but
> that does not mean I always agree.  Drew is a grown up and I like to think I
> am a grown up so we can disagree and not have any animosity towards each
> other.
> AO-51 is a zoo at times, so is 20 meters during contests.  It is the nature
> of the beast.  As time goes on people will figure out how to make contacts,
> whether it is change birds, change times, or change tactics.  I believe
> limiting access is a bad idea.
> I'm not wanting to start a flame war, just wanting to state there is another
> side to the argument, and there are a few of us on that side.
> 73,
> Joe kk0sd
> -----Original Message-----
> From: amsat-bb-bounces at amsat.org [mailto:amsat-bb-bounces at amsat.org] On
> Behalf Of P.H.
> Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2011 4:30 AM
> To: amsat-bb at amsat.org
> Subject: [amsat-bb] Re: -={Echo Madness}=-
>>>> Several others have written in support, and
>>>> I only wish more would have done so publicly.
> I wasn't going to reply to this thread when it started because I feel
> quite strongly about the subject and didn't want to say something I
> would later regret. However as I feel I need to show my support for
> Drew's decision, here goes.
> First of all I think Drew was right to do what he did, over here in
> Europe things are pretty much the same, in fact I have heard worse
> than the recording posted here earlier in the week. I have experienced
> the same frustration that I imagine Drew did when he had others
> deliberately stomp all over him, it's not nice, especially when it's
> the same stations day in and day out.
> While I dont always agree with Drew's attitude to people here on -bb,
> on this occasion I do support him in what he did - and appreciate both
> his efforts in looking after the sat and those of the other command
> stations (and of course others behind the scenes who dont always get a
> mention)
> There has been a lot of talk about what can't be done to rectify the
> situation.. we need to have a more positive approach to this and look
> at what can be done.
> Our license states that it is an offence to cause interference - If it
> is intentional or not, it is interference - some people have compared
> it to a HF pileup, yes there is that side to it, but that doesn't mean
> we cant do something about those regular users who continually make a
> nuisance of themselves by stomping all over other stations, be it
> deliberate or not - it is interference. If you cant make a contact on
> the sat without regularly causing interference, then it's either time
> to look at asking for help with your station setup and operating
> practices or consider another aspect of the hobby.
> The ham radio governing bodies (ARRL, RSGB etc) are perhaps in a
> better position to offer assistance to contact those who don't hang
> out on here or have contact details on QRZ.com etc.
> For those people who choose to ignore the advise and continue to cause
> interference by stomping all over users then perhaps if a few
> complaints were lodged with the licensing authority it may help.
> I know it won't cure the problem totally but wouldn't it help? - those
> who are that way inclined will think twice before making a total
> nuisance of themselves on the air, and those that choose to ignore the
> thought of having their license revoked may well just get a letter
> forwarded to them by their national Amsat organisation via the ARRL or
> RSGB etc, or repeat offenders from the licensing authority.
> To reiterate, i'm not talking about the new operators, we were all new
> once. I'm talking about the regular offenders who are just plain rude
> and cant wait their turn, or greedy and think it is their right to
> have X amount of contacts per pass no matter how much interference
> they cause.
> Just some suggestions, it may take a little time and effort but also
> it may well pay off in the long run.
> Here in Europe there are several stations who pass after pass just
> stomp all over other users and make AO-51 in particular not a nice
> place to be.
> I would certainly never consider using AO-51 as a satellite to do a
> demo on to beginners when these guys are around.
> However, the last few days on AO-51 have been a pleasure to work since
> the switch and if it continues like this (doubtful) then a demo on
> AO-51 would most definitley be a possibility.
> Remember, the use of AO-51 is a privilege, not a right. Treat it, and
> it's users with the respect it/they deserve.
> Ok, rant over.
> Keep up the good work Drew, Mark, Gould and all the team at Amsat-NA
> 73
> Pete
> 2i0VAX
> _______________________________________________
> Sent via AMSAT-BB at amsat.org. Opinions expressed are those of the author.
> Not an AMSAT-NA member? Join now to support the amateur satellite program!
> Subscription settings: http://amsat.org/mailman/listinfo/amsat-bb
> _______________________________________________
> Sent via AMSAT-BB at amsat.org. Opinions expressed are those of the author.
> Not an AMSAT-NA member? Join now to support the amateur satellite program!
> Subscription settings: http://amsat.org/mailman/listinfo/amsat-bb

More information about the AMSAT-BB mailing list