[amsat-bb] ND9M/MM Op Sked: 24 March

Clary, James T, Civilian James.T.Clary.civ at MSC.NAVY.MIL
Wed Mar 23 18:40:04 PDT 2011

Many tks to everyone who sent screen captures and video clips of my ship
transiting the Panama Canal today. Although I've been sailing for a long
time, this was my first time through the canal and a very exciting day
for me. (Remember when this area was KZ5, now a deleted DXCC country?)

Plus I was able to put a couple new grid squares into a bunch of logs to
boot, so win-win! I operated the FO29 pass at 23/2126Z and AO51 pass a
few minutes later from the middle lock at Gatun Locks in FJ09; the ship
was literally going down at the time, but only by virtue of the water
level being lowered as we approached the Atlantic side of the canal.

We've since cleared the canal and are now fully into the Caribbean. Our
route to Jacksonville will be around the western end of Cuba so that we
can pick up the Gulf Stream near the Florida Keys; the Stream will push
us along by adding about 15 percent to our speed. Since we're on a fixed
ETA, we'll ease back on the engines a bit so that they don't have to
work quite as hard, not to mention not burn as much fuel.

We're due into Jacksonville next Tuesday, 29/3.

On an unrelated note, congrats to Allen, N5AFV on making his 50,000th
satellite contact early this morning; that's quite an accomplishment!

Our course over the next 24 hours will be almost due north, so we'll
cross into a new grid square about every five hours.

Here's my planned op sked for tonight and tomorrow:

Planned

VO52 - 24/0208Z - FK00 - only pass this grid

FO29 - 24/0904Z - FK01

AO51 - 24/0951Z - FK01

FO29 - 24/2216Z - FK04

AO51 - 24/2229Z - FK04

AO7 - 24/2256Z - FK04

VO52 - 25/0052Z FK04

VO52 - 25/0228Z - FK05 - only pass this grid

Probable, but not certain

AO7 - 24/1216Z - FK02 - probably the only pass this grid

AO27 - 24/1916Z - FK03 - Approx turn on time; 3-minute window starting
at 16 degrees & going down

FO29 - 24/2030Z - FK03 or FK04

AO51 - 24/2049Z - FK03 or FK04