[amsat-bb] ND9M/MM Op Sked: Panama Canal Transit - 23 March

Clary, James T, Civilian James.T.Clary.civ at MSC.NAVY.MIL
Tue Mar 22 14:43:27 PDT 2011

We should be crossing into FJ07 shortly, around 22/2300Z. I'll be on the
AO7 pass that rises locally at 22/2302Z, assuming AO7 is still in Mode
B. We will be in FJ07 for three or four hours, so the VO52 pass at
23/0149Z should be good for that grid as well.

I expect to be on from FJ08:

FO29 - 23/0813Z

AO51 - 23/0853Z

FO29 - 23/0958Z (possibly)

AO51 - 23/1032Z (possibly)

My ship received our transit schedule for tomorrow. Traffic has to move
slowly through the canal, so it will be an all-day transit. Barring high
winds or bad weather, I'll set up the step ladder satellite station on
the flight deck and leave it in place all day.

1345Z / 0845 LT - Arrive Miraflores Locks (east side, right hand)

1450Z / 0950 LT - Depart Miraflores Locks

1535Z / 1035 LT - Arrive Pedro Miguel Locks (west side, left hand)

1620Z / 1135 LT - Depart Pedro Miguel Locks

1950Z / 1450 LT - Arrive Gatun Locks (east side, right hand)

2145Z / 1645 LT - Depart Gatun Locks

Evidently there are three sets of locks; I was only aware of two! I
don't know if the Pedro Miguel Locks has a web cam; probably not since
these locks are immediately after the Miraflores Locks.

Looking at SatPC32, there's a VO52 pass occurring shortly after we enter
the Miraflores Locks and an FO29 pass as we hit the Gatun Locks. I
should be able to make both passes; it would be fun operating on camera!

Also, we'll cross into FJ09 at the Miraflores Locks, possibly during the
VO52 pass at 23/1355Z.

Jim, HP/ND9M / VQ9JC

Grid EJ97