[amsat-bb] Re: AO-40 range record ??

Dee morsesat at optonline.net
Sun Mar 20 14:43:37 PDT 2011

SOB   SOB  for sure again...

-----Original Message-----
From: amsat-bb-bounces at amsat.org [mailto:amsat-bb-bounces at amsat.org] On
Behalf Of JoAnne Maenpaa
Sent: Sunday, March 20, 2011 11:26 AM
To: amsat-bb at amsat.org
Subject: [amsat-bb] Re: AO-40 range record ??

Hi Pete,

I'm sending you a couple of links of more possible ham operating
possibilities a HEO could provide ... in addition to the nice DX we enjoyed.

A few years ago when another HEO seemed feasible I let my imagination go to
work and wrote a couple of "proposals" for amateur radio missions ...

1. Use HEO for communication links in large-scale Incident Command Systems.
I wrote a symposium paper for 2008 on this topic and CQ VHF Magazine also
published it:

2. Use HEO to expand ARISS School Contact time from 10 minutes to whole
orbit coverage (AMSAT Symposium 2009):

(Note both of these were strawman proposals that haven't gone anywhere until
flying high becomes a viable option again. Had AO-40 survived we could have
started on these projects as well.)

Perhaps this will give an additional talking point or two in addition to the
DX. Good luck with the talk!

73 de JoAnne K9JKM
k9jkm at amsat.org