[amsat-bb] Re: Is it 100% impossible to work a satellite below thehorizon?

K5OE k5oe at aol.com
Sun Mar 13 07:31:37 PDT 2011

I believe your reference was to N4ZC.

There are some old (2002) posts on amsat-bb about his exploits:

Jerry, K5OE

On 3/12/2011 7:25 PM, Bill Dzurilla wrote:
> I was giving a presentation at our club meeting called Working DX on the
>Satellites and afterwards someone had a good question: is it at all possible
>that tropo, skip, or other form of enhanced propagation can enable a contact
>via a satellite below the horizon?
> It has never happened to me.  Has it ever happened?
It was relatively commonplace with RS-12 on Mode K, 15m up, 10m down.
There was one guy in North Carolina I think that worked dxcc on
RS-12/13. He was my first satellite QSO in 1992 or so, and was always
on. I can't remember the call, but it was a 1x2 I think.

I imagine it would be at least possible on other birds and higher bands
with strong tropo. Jerry, KK5YY told me about doing that on AO-27 or
UO-14 from Alaska over the ocean. I've not experienced it though.

73, Drew KO4MA