[amsat-bb] Re: ARISSatTLM source code

STeve Andre' andres at msu.edu
Thu Jun 23 16:36:34 PDT 2011

On 06/23/11 18:40, Gordon JC Pearce wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 19:08:25 -0500
> "George Henry"<ka3hsw at att.net>  wrote:
>

>> HOpe this helps!!!
>>
> What the original poster was asking for is the source, rather than precompiled Windows and Mac OSX binaries.
>
> The source doesn't seem to be available yet.  It's a shame that closed-source software seems to be so common in amateur radio - you get people sharing all sorts of information, but they just don't seem to have grasped the idea that letting people see the source code is a Very Good Thing.
>
> Gordon MM0YEQ

Yeah, absolutely this is a problem.

What bothers me the most about this is saying I don't run Windows, or MacOS,
or Linux, and then I just get the <blink> <blink> response, and that's it.

I know two kids interested at least to some extent about ham radio, both
who are learning and understand open source culture, who were not exactly
impressed with some of the closed source programs they've seen--and wanted
to improve on.

But this is changing, and is yet another reason to get more younger people
involved in ham radio in general.

--STeve Andre'
wb8wsf  en72