[amsat-bb] Re: FM satellites

Alexander Sack pisymbol at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 21:26:07 PDT 2011

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 8:33 PM, Bob Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:
> The issue here is not the failure of the cell site, it is the 10 million
> people that all try to use their cell phones at once.  It takes days for
> people to get their "urgent calls through" before the load goes down enough
> to have any hope of getting in.  But like in Haiti, even after a few days,
> the emergency persisted and still everyone needed to use their phones for
> urgent requirements and so the load on the few hundered cell channels
> persisted....
>
> At least until most people's batteries went dead (due to no power) and only
> after most of those phones became useless was the demand low enough for
> those still with enough charge to get a call through.
>
> Again, this is my assumption, not known to be fact.  But the fact of
> cellphone LOAD after a wide area emergency totally blocking service is
> pretty much fact.

http://arstechnica.com/telecom/news/2010/03/faster-mobile-broadband-driven-by-congestion-not-speed.ars/

Though I agree with you to some extent (certainly where I live!), the
explosion of smartphones will drive the networks to be able to handle
larger capacities and you will be able to get through faster.

I truly believe RF's real value in an emergency is that anyone can
setup a communication station in minutes because the barrier to entry
is very small, i.e. its the response time which is its greatest asset.

-aps (KC2ZSX)