[amsat-bb] Can Radio Amateur Stations support scientific space missions ?

PA3GUO pa3guo at upcmail.nl
Sun Nov 28 00:01:24 PST 2010

Dear all,

After I installed a new 70cm antenna this week I wanted to 'measure' how
good my (modest) station is and how it would perform as a Ground Station
for supporting missions as the new RAX, O/OREOS, FASTRAC etc.

This new antenna is a simple, 12 elements, vertical polarized beam.
No circular polarization. How would it work with tumbling satellites ?

Two experiments done:

RAX transmits (only) every 20 seconds a 9600bd beacon. I did a 24 hour
fully automated tracking and analyzed all the results: when did I decode,
when did I miss. Here is the report with the details and positive results:

O/OREOS transmits every 5 seconds, 1200 bd, but is weaker as RAX.
Also here I analyzed a couple of passes and compared the results:

One of the conclusions in the reports: a 12 element antenna works just fine !
Did anyone do a similar experiment and has interesting feedback to share ?

Henk, PA3GUO