[amsat-bb] Re: Oldest working orbiting satellite? Todays quiz!

Chris Bloy chris at photofuture.co.uk
Thu Nov 4 09:43:20 PDT 2010

Hi Robert,

>> Non-working Amateur Satellite still in-orbit? (AO-13?)
>Oscar III...then Oscar V...Oscar V has no chance of coming back to life, it
was battery powered.. III?  I dont think that there were enough solar cells
on it to actually power the bird, but I could be >wrong.  I do listen for

Ah, that's interesting.. I did have a quick check on Space Track via date
search, but didn't know that III was still there!

>> Non-working commercial sat? Vanguard-1?
>Yes. Technically the rocket body is older but that is the oldest in orbit

Technically the R/B isn't a satellite??

>> Working commercial satellite still in orbit?
>Probably one of the 1960's ERG's...but I can check.

g-comms-sat.html : (Thanks John LA2QAA)

"The record holder appears to be ATS-3 still nominally operational after an
amazing 41 years!"

That's a record we want AO-7 to break isn't it?

Project OSCAR UK

www.projectoscar.co.uk - www.projectoscar.eu