[amsat-bb] Re: Doppler Tuning Convention Question

Greg D. ko6th_greg at hotmail.com
Mon May 31 21:36:55 PDT 2010

> From: n3tl at bellsouth.net
> To: APBIDDLE at mailaps.org; jbelstner at yahoo.com; amsat-bb at amsat.org
> Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 21:42:09 -0400
> Subject: [amsat-bb] Re: Doppler Tuning Convention Question
>

> Alan, I have no doubt that you're right about the necessity for Doppler
> control above Mode B satellites. Having always preferred the KISS approach
> whenever possible, I suppose that's why I haven't been able to get myself
> very excited for L- and S-band opportunities. I definitely enjoy the
> benefits of computer control for Doppler. I just don't much care for having
> no choice in using it (or not) to effectively work a satellite.
>
> 73 to all,
>
> Tim - N3TL

Actually, I've been running 2.4 ghz manually since AO-40, and really haven't had that much trouble.  Just keep spinning the dial.  Also, having an older rig (736r), I don't bother with computer control when on the linear birds.  I do relax under full computer control for FM up through L-band, but there's still something satisfying about manual tuning.

Greg  KO6TH