[amsat-bb] Re: S Band interference was RE: Re: Field Day mode for AO-51

Luc Leblanc lucleblanc6 at videotron.ca
Wed May 5 08:42:40 PDT 2010

Just to add to my previous post S band on Field Day should normally get less QRM as most of the sites are outside cities and WI-FI
interference is much more low in country location.

One experiment i will try on the next S band mode on AO-51 is to used a band pass cavity filter to see if adding some filtering this wide
spread WI-FI and other 2.4Ghz device interference can be lowered to some extent hoping this will have an effect of the front end
sensitivity of the downconverter. There is not much that we can do if the QRM is directly on the receiving 2401 frequencies but if it is
possible to minimized any desensing effect "could be" it can help?

> Joe,
>
> 	My neighbors have several "wireless" devices that operate close
> enough to our frequencies to raise my noise level or produce a series of
> clicks and other noises.  The worst offenders are a wireless network and a
> cordless phone.  During the AO-40 era I bought a cordless phone from a
> neighbor that was very troublesome.  I have since moved to a country
> location, and find it interesting that I can tell what direction town is by
> moving my antenna (pointed at the horizon) and listening to the noise level
> on mode S.
>
> 73,
> Joe kk0sd

> Hi Joe
>
> Your comment about Mode S interference interests me
> I have not been on since AO-40
> In those days there was no interference on mode S.
> Unless it was another Ham.
> Would you kindly explain?
>
> Thanks
>
> Joe K0VTY
> On Tue, 4 May 2010 22:22:54 -0500 "Gary \"Joe\" Mayfield"
 and S band is becoming too full of interference.
> >  "-"

Luc Leblanc VE2DWE
Skype VE2DWE
www.qsl.net/ve2dwe